News & Events
November 24, 2015
SCAM ALERT: Attorney General Warns New Mexicans about “Making Home Affordable” Program
AG Balderas: Do not pay Ocwen mortgage payments by Moneygram in response to a “Making Home Affordable” offer
Albuquerque, NM – Today, Attorney General Hector Balderas issued a scam alert to warn New Mexicans about a dangerous new scam preying on New Mexicans who are having trouble paying their mortgages.
“Do not pay Ocwen mortgage payments by Moneygram in response to 'Making Home Affordable' offer letters or calls,” said Attorney General Hector Balderas. “This is a scam and if you receive one of these letters or calls please contact the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General at 505-222-9100.”
Details about the scam:
• The Office of the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division has recently learned that New Mexico homeowners are being asked to send money to individuals by Moneygram.
• Ocwen has investigated the matter and determined that third-parties are posing as Ocwen employees to obtain payment from consumers.
• Consumers receive a letter advising them that they are being offered a “trial payment plan” or loan modification and then the consumer is directed to call a person to make the payments. An example of such a letter is attached.
• The callers will at times “spoof” an Ocwen phone number so that it appears that the person calling the consumer is calling from an Ocwen phone number often in the area code “214.”
• The United States Postal Inspection Service is working with Ocwen to investigate this matter as mail fraud.
• If consumers have questions about their home loan, they can contact the real Ocwen at 800-746-2936.
• Further, consumers who suspect they have been harmed by this scam, have received a suspicious mailing, or have any questions can contact Assistant Attorney General David C. Kramer at 505-222-9100 or 505-222-9134 for assistance.
Attorney General Balderas is committed to protecting consumers from deceptive or unfair business practices, and to helping homeowners avoid foreclosure. The Office of the Attorney General sponsors the “Keep Your Home New Mexico” program to help consumers avoid foreclosures and save their homes. Homeowners can call a statewide hotline for free housing counseling and other information. That number is 855-664-6630 or consumers can visit www.keepyourhomenewmexico.org.
see link for example: http://www.keepyourhomenewmexico.org/media/files/Make Home Affordable Scam Letter.pdf